What could possibly be better in life than an icy cold wedge of freshly-sliced watermelon on a hot summer afternoon? How about an icy cold watermelon salad? It’s perfect served along with grilled salmon on the barbecue – and a unique heart-smart alternative to the classic picnic standard potato salad. If you haven’t tried this unusual summertime salad, please do it while watermelons are at their peak in our farmers’ markets. It’s also a beautiful-looking dish to bring along to your next potluck this summer – guaranteed to stand out from all those other boring old salads around the table.
Watermelon, Feta and Black Olive Salad
Combine in a large bowl:
- 8 c. cubed seedless watermelon*
- 1/2 c. crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/2 c. pitted black olives, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 c. unsalted pine nuts, toasted*
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh mint leaves*
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- generous dash of freshly ground black pepper
- optional: finely sliced red onion (steeped first in lime juice)
Serve immediately. Do not make this too far ahead of time as it does not improve with age!
* Options: yellow-fruit watermelon may replace half or all of the watermelon, chopped fresh basil may replace the mint, and toasted sliced almonds or chopped walnuts may replace the pine nuts.
Thank you to Britain’s divine Nigella Lawson for this inspiration.
Want more heart-smart hits from your own kitchen? Check out my favourite heart-healthy recipes for:
Have you tried this recipe yet?