“I’m getting old – but I’m not old yet”

23 Nov

Lately, I’ve been trying to teach myself to play this infectious David Myles tune on the famous little green kiwi ukelele in between my weekly Thursday lessons.  The song was the 2009 Great American Song Contest First Place Winner in the Contemporary Acoustic/Folk Category.

Then in 2012, this Halifax singer was named Songwriter of the Year at Canada’s East Coast Music Awards show. I’m such a big fan! While I’m noodling away here on this little  musical project, listen to the original “When It Comes My Turn”, enjoy David’s lyrics (below), check out his new album In The NightTime, (while you’re on his site, watch the official video of his unofficial anti-bullying theme song “Inner Ninja” (with fellow Nova Scotian, Classified) and best of all, sing along OUT LOUD!

It’s so good for the heart.

(Chorus): I’’m getting old, but I’’m not old yet
I’’m already worried that I might forget
How to laugh, how to love
How to live, how to learn
I want to die with a smile when it comes my turn

I don’’t want to get weary, don’’t want to get bored
Don’’t want to get tired walking down this road
I’’ve seen that happen so many times
I just want to believe that it’s still worth trying

Chorus

But I know that it’’s easier said than done
And I ain’’t that different from anyone
I worry about my money, got bills that I can’’t pay
I swear I’’m more like my father everyday!

Chorus

Maybe I’’ll start bowling, maybe I’’ll play bridge
Maybe I’’ll join a band with my own grandkids
I don’’t care if it kills me, I’’m gonna do what it takes
To keep some warmth in my heart and a smile on my face.

Chorus

© David Myles

Q: Do you know an irresistible song that does your heart good?

12 Responses to ““I’m getting old – but I’m not old yet””

1. Eve Zavodnick November 25, 2013 at 7:52 am #

I’m partial to Kelly Clarkson’s “What Doesn’t Kill You Makes You Stronger” It’s been my mantra for at least a year!

2. A Hopeful Doc November 23, 2013 at 9:03 pm #

I recently put together a playlist on my Hopeful Heart Songs :)

Also, do you play the ukelele or piano or some instrument involving strings?

• Carolyn Thomas November 23, 2013 at 9:08 pm #

Thanks Hopeful for sharing your playlist here. And yes, I play the ukelele (well, sort of…I’m learning to!)

3. cave76 November 23, 2013 at 8:17 am #

Almost any song sung by Tom Lehrer —- but that’s just my twisted mind.

4. Sharon November 23, 2013 at 5:06 am #

I LOVE IT! I can see you “noodling away” on your green ukulele learning this wonderful tune. The image and thought are SO good for the heart as well as the words to the song. Thank you for sharing this part of your life. It makes me feel like I know you a little better.

• Carolyn Thomas November 23, 2013 at 5:07 am #

Thanks Sharon – and now you do! ;-)

• Dr. Barbara Keddy November 24, 2013 at 1:42 pm #

I LOVE The Vatican Rag… refer many people to it (ex-Catholics like me!) :-) Genuflect, genuflect, genuflect tee hee!

• Carolyn Thomas November 24, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

I do, too! And I hadn’t listened to it in decades until Cave’s reminder yesterday.

5. Karen November 23, 2013 at 4:26 am #

Hahaha, Thanks for the share….i just love a good laugh to get my day started.

• Carolyn Thomas November 23, 2013 at 5:09 am #

Nothing better! And laughing while singing out loud is even better.

What do you think?