My blog post in the British Medical Journal!

14 Jan

Allow me to share with you this thrilling sight, dear heart sisters!  It’s the Twitter page of the British Medical Journal (BMJ) plus its Tweet about my BMJ blog post called Why Physicians Must Stop Saying: “We Are All Patients that was published today.

A big “thank you” for this goes to Dave de Bronkart (some of you know him better as ePatient Dave). Dave is a sneaky sort of guy who, unbeknownst to me, sent the BMJ editors a link to my recent Heart Sisters post called “We Are All Patients.” No, You’re Not. The editors then contacted me to ask if I’d also write something for them, and here we are!

Can I just say – – – WOW!!      :-)

33 Responses to “My blog post in the British Medical Journal!”

1. Peggy Wolf January 22, 2014 at 5:47 am #

You tell ‘em, Carolyn! You did and they listened. Congrats! Keep spreading your words of wisdom. We’re all ears.

2. Mirjami January 16, 2014 at 1:47 pm #

“Success never comes easy.” I am so happy for you. You have really deserved it.

• Carolyn Thomas January 16, 2014 at 2:32 pm #

Thank you, Mirjami – I have just sent you an email. Check your inbox! :-)

3. ePatient Dave January 16, 2014 at 4:19 am #

Ha – you earned it! All I did was tell ‘em about you.

Seriously, the BMJ genuinely gets it. They’re forming a patient advisory board for their EDITORS (can you imagine JAMA or a cardiology journal doing that?) and a year ago they even invited me to submit an essay to their print edition on how the e-patient community helped save my life.

The world of medicine and the culture of medicine are changing to better understand the role patients can play.

You’re part of it. Rock on!

• Carolyn Thomas January 16, 2014 at 5:25 am #

Thanks Dave. Imagine if every medical journal followed BMJ’s lead with their patient advisory board. Readers, don’t miss Dave’s essay in the BMJ as linked above.

4. Elizabeth Skronski January 15, 2014 at 3:20 pm #

Dear Carolyn, Congratulations. This is awesome and the work you do is awesome … ( and so are you!)

• Carolyn Thomas January 15, 2014 at 7:15 pm #

Hi Elizabeth – can’t tell you how overwhelming it feels to read such warm and generous comments!

5. Dotti Pearson January 15, 2014 at 12:43 pm #

Carolyn, you so deserve this recognition for the excellent work you do at spreading the news about women and heart disease.

It’s been wonderful following and sharing your blog. Keep up the amazing work!

6. cave76 January 15, 2014 at 7:35 am #

I’d like to add my WOW to all the others here. If there was anyone more deserving, I don’t know who!

7. Marietta Wagner January 15, 2014 at 5:40 am #

AWESOME JOB Carolyn! And I can say “I knew her when”.

Congratulations on a job well done.

8. Bj Babcock January 14, 2014 at 9:47 pm #

Congrats, Carolyn! You are so awesome, indeed!

9. Lynn January 14, 2014 at 8:42 pm #

You go girl!!!!❤️

• Carolyn Thomas January 15, 2014 at 5:56 am #

Hello Lynn, BJ and Marietta – three of my Mayo heart sisters right in a row! Lovely to hear from you.

10. timethief January 14, 2014 at 8:24 pm #

Congrats! And well deserved too.

11. Kathleen January 14, 2014 at 7:04 pm #

Congrats. And very good for the BMJ that they wanted to run it! A forward sign, I would say.

• Carolyn Thomas January 14, 2014 at 7:55 pm #

Very important point, Kathleen. Not sure how many patients are asked to contribute to this journal, but it IS a very forward sign.

12. lauren January 14, 2014 at 5:42 pm #

High 5 to you Carolyn!! Well done!

13. Allison January 14, 2014 at 5:36 pm #

I am so happy for you! I’m also happy for the people who will now be reading your blog.

14. Dr. Anne Stohrer January 14, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

Yes! I am so proud and happy for you. Lift up your voice!

15. Mary January 14, 2014 at 4:10 pm #

Good on ya, Carolyn! Great job and keep on going. You’re a great voice for all of us.

16. Carol Connolly January 14, 2014 at 3:36 pm #

Congrats, Carolyn! All your hard work is being noticed and appreciated all around the globe. Way to go, girl!
    Carol

17. Jodi J January 14, 2014 at 2:50 pm #

Carolyn-
    This is most excellent and well deserved! Congrats!

• Carolyn Thomas January 14, 2014 at 6:02 pm #

Thank you so much Jodi – and Carol, Mary, Anne, Allison and Lauren who have added your kind words here too! Much appreciated. And how lovely to share this with all of you.

18. HibernationNow January 14, 2014 at 2:20 pm #

Can I just say CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU?? ~~ SO proud and honored to know as an honorary sister of the Peachy Keen Junior Sisterhood of Good Health.

I am sincerely thrilled for you Carolyn and it is so well deserved. We have ALWAYS known you rock, it’s about time you received nation-wide attention. Way to go!!! With love, Laurie Fessler aka Peachy Keen Junior

• Carolyn Thomas January 14, 2014 at 2:24 pm #

Thanks for such kind words, PK Jr! Now if I could only squeeze my head through the doorway . . .

19. Marie Ennis-O'Connor (@JBBC) January 14, 2014 at 1:34 pm #

Well it’s about time the wider online community got to read what we already know to be one of the very best thinkers on patient issues.

• Carolyn Thomas January 14, 2014 at 1:45 pm #

Bless your little Irish heart, Marie! I’m dead chuffed, as you might say… ;-)

• Barbara Keddy January 14, 2014 at 4:48 pm #

Congratulations!!!! You deserve recognition from all over the world for your phenomenal contributions to health issues that affect both patients and health professionals alike! This is so fantastic!

You are a great Canadian, health advocate, writer, researcher and social activist! Hooray for you!

• Carolyn Thomas January 14, 2014 at 9:11 pm #

Barbara, you are gushing. And I am blushing! Thank you . . .

What do you think?