What if hospital staff could read our minds?

5 Apr

Thank you, Cleveland Clinic, for producing this moving 4 1/2 minute little film, Empathy: The Human Connection to Patient Care

7 Responses to “What if hospital staff could read our minds?”

1. A. Pompa April 5, 2013 at 8:11 am #

Providence? I just watched Patch Adams, then saw this. Can be difficult day in and day out. I truly admire those who are really good at any aspect of patient care!

The best doctors and healthcare professionals never lose their ability to truly empathize. Patient care needs to be personal and that aspect should not be left only to the nursing staff.

• Carolyn Thomas April 5, 2013 at 8:31 am #

So true. Sometimes I wonder whether the concept of empathy is even teachable if they simply don’t have any in the first place and need to be taught.

The best ones are legendary care providers; but many (docs, nurses, techs, front desk staff, you name it – I’ve met them!) may never “get it”.

• Linda Heitlauf April 8, 2013 at 4:27 am #

.. Brought me to tears. This is why 2 1/2 years after my massive heart attack, I’m now a hospital volunteer. I figured it was time to pay it forward.

• Carolyn Thomas April 8, 2013 at 5:27 am #

Good for you, Linda. You have a unique volunteer’s perspective that few have unless they’ve also been in the patient’s shoes (or hospital gown!)

2. Mary April 5, 2013 at 7:52 am #

Tears. Powerful. The only thing that would also go with each person would be: how will I pay for this?

• Carolyn Thomas April 5, 2013 at 7:58 am #

Hi Mary – and there’s a whole other level of empathy required to address that one.

1. Explore What's Next - April 5, 2013

“Be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.” ~ Plato […] My friend Carolyn Thomas posted this video, produced by the Cleveland Clinic, on her blog, Heart Sisters. She asks: “What if hospital staff could read our minds?” […]