And now for something completely different . . . My blogging sisters Marie Ennis-O’Connor (Ireland) and Nancy Stordahl (Wisconsin, USA) inspired me recently to follow their blogging challenge called “15 Random Facts About Me”. Because I’d really enjoyed learning random gems about both Marie and Nancy (after admiring their work for years), I was happy to take up their fun challenge:
15 Random Facts About Me
1. I have bunches of cut flowers in every room of my home every day (and whenever I’m staying in a hotel longer than two nights, I buy fresh flowers for my room there, too).
2. I was a distance runner for 19 years. Our running group motto: “No course too short, no pace too slow!” Later on, I wrote a column for Runner’s World about being a former runner.
3. I’m the eldest of five children (two brothers and two sisters) who are now spread out from Belgium to British Columbia, Canada.
4. I love paper. All kinds of paper, especially handmade rag and fibre papers, and especially for card-making and collage. This week, I’m experimenting with lovely vintage sheet music papers.
5. One day long ago, when I was a student at Queen’s University, I accidentally backed into the car belonging to Michael Ondaatje, famous author of The English Patient and many other award-winning books. My hubby and I had to pay $55 to cover the repairs (and that was a full month’s rent for us starving students back then!)
6. My high school years were spent attending a convent boarding school, Mount Mary Immaculate Academy. And my sister Catherine attended Mt. Mary, too!
7. For over 20 years, our family lived on a 40-acre fruit farm in the Niagara Peninsula, and to this day, the thought of picking strawberries makes my back hurt.
8. As a young Mum, I volunteered as a La Leche League support group leader/peer counsellor for nursing mothers.
9. I’ve been an active member of Toastmasters since 1987 (when I was just a baby. . .) and still attend meetings of the Rise and Shine Toastmasters club every Thursday at 7 a.m. in beautiful downtown Victoria.
10. Very early morning (say, 4:45 a.m. when my internal alarm goes off) is the best part of my day, when the world is silent and the only small sound outside is the sweet trill of the first bird singing.
11. I’m the co-author (with my late friend Jill Stewart) of two best-selling travel books: Island Treasures: An Off-The-Beaten-Track Guide to Victoria, Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands, and Island Treasures 2 – both published by Harbour and both, sadly, long out of print.
12. Speaking of travel, one of my best ever travel experiences was spent camping for six months across Canada. I’ve always maintained we should see own country before sightseeing in any foreign land.
13. My new grandbaby Everly Rose (born May 7th this year) is the sweetest angel-baby on earth. Snuggling with her is my favourite way to spend my time these days. Lucky me, only three blocks away from her home! I am so in love . . .
14. The Happy Gang is the name of a really fun group of my longtime girlfriends. We like anything that involves crazy dress-up costumes. Or food.
15. I am known for my extremely colourful, gorgeous scarves. But I do have waaaaay too many and should really stop collecting them. I can quit any time. Honest.
Thanks for setting this blogging challenge, Nancy and Marie – it was fun!