“It’s a girl!!”

7 May

Welcome to the world, my darling little grandbaby!  Everly Rose, born at 7:07 p.m. on May 7th, 2015 (which would have been my own mother’s 87th birthday!)  Proud parents are Larissa and Randy – Mum and babe doing “FANTASTIC!”, says the new Daddy.

Let the spoiling begin!

Everly Rose

Everly Rose napping with her Mum

♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥

Q: Any words of grandmotherly advice for me?

UPDATE: Everly Rose makes her television debut at age 4 weeks (starting about 1:10)

And a few more photo updates as our girl grows . . .

We decorated Larissa and Randy’s house to help spread the news!

Tiny little feet . . .

So alert . . .

On her two-month birthday (notice the “Happy Birthday Peanut” cake)

Screen Shot 2015-07-07 at 7.15.33 PM

She loves her Baba (me!)

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 1.17.54 PM.png

Such a happy little girl!

munchkinNov2015.jpg

Having a little chat with Baba . .  .

Screen Shot 2015-12-25 at 7.12.25 AM
First Christmas!

Screen Shot 2016-04-25 at 6.33.59 AMJust lyin’ around on the living room floor . . .

Rosie Munchkin 1 yr birthday pink dressOne year old already!

Screen Shot 2016-07-15 at 6.36.40 PM“I have six teeth now!” ~ on the beach at Black Creek with Mummy

screen-shot-2016-12-12-at-8-47-26-pm

Playing with my onion. . .

Trying on Baba’s scarf

Feeding the ducks…

I love it when Daddy throws me high up in the sky at the annual Oak Bay Tea Party (age 2!)

64 Responses to ““It’s a girl!!””

1. Eira Richert May 19, 2015 at 7:08 am #

Congratulations to grandma. Becoming a grandma 11 years ago was very moving. My grandson has been such a funny and exhausting baby. It was not always easy with my daughter-in-law. She had such strict rules in her education, I could not see. In my home country, children grow up in total freedom. I gave her Alice Miller´s “The Drama of the Gifted Child” to read, but she did not even take it with her as they left. They live 600 km away from us.

When they were here, I played with my grandson all my childhood play: hide-and-seek, ball play, cooking ‘witch’s soup’ of all things we could find in the garden, built snow castles and snow men etc. We loved it both. Since I have learned to leave my all-knowing education comments, everything is in butter.

In your case it will be better, because daughters usually educate like they themselves were educated.

Have a good time with Everly Rose.

• Carolyn Thomas May 19, 2015 at 7:49 am #

Hello Eira – good advice to keep those “all knowing” comments quiet! I love your ‘witch’s soup’ idea and will definitely use that one as she grows!

2. Nancy's Point May 13, 2015 at 7:31 am #

Hi Carolyn,
    How absolutely wonderful! Congrats to you all!

3. Denise May 9, 2015 at 5:53 am #

Congrats on becoming a Baba, Carolyn! My suggestion is to do something I’m sure you’ll be doing anyway, live your values.

Tell Everly Rose early on and frequently how important it is to take care of her health and her magnificent heart. Go for walks instead of sitting watching TV (you knew I’d say that, right?). Baked treats can be made over so that they’re not just sugar, and not a bad idea to move away from “food=love” in the first place. My own maternal grandmother was light years ahead of the times. She was Jazzercizing in the 1970’s and walking frequently and provided a role model to me that my wonderful, but uber sedentary parents just couldn’t provide.

I am so very happy for you, Carolyn! Everly Rose is one lucky little girl!

• Carolyn Thomas May 9, 2015 at 6:24 am #

Your grandmother sounds like a great role model. You brought up a unexpected advantage that those living with heart disease already have because we’re already seeking healthy lifestyle improvements in diet/exercise. Such good tips, Denise!

4. Kit Filan May 8, 2015 at 11:27 pm #

Oh that’s fantastic and I love the name. Can’t wait to see her. Please give them all a big hug from me. Congratulations Baba. This will be a very special Mother’s Day for all of you. Take it from me, babies born in May are a pure delight! xo

• Carolyn Thomas May 9, 2015 at 5:52 am #

Hi Kit! This baby arrived just in time to let Larissa have an official Mother’s Day celebration! Very considerate… 😉

5. Carol Connolly May 8, 2015 at 10:42 pm #

Well, Baba…Congratulations and special blessings to you all on the arrival of your precious granddaughter. I’m sure Everly Rose will bring you much joy!

Carol Connolly

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 10:50 pm #

Hi Carol! Thanks for your note – so much joy already! I haven’t stopped smiling since last night….

6. Andrea May 8, 2015 at 1:41 pm #

Carolyn, what a joy!!! Grandchildren are a real blessing! Congratulations to the new parents and Gramma (or whatever your name will be) 🙂

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 4:36 pm #

Thanks Andrea – I’ll be called “Baba” (Ukrainian for grandmother)!

7. The Accidental Amazon May 8, 2015 at 1:11 pm #

Just in time for Mother’s Day, too, which is extra special now that you’re a grandmother! As for your new role, here’s a little humor from Anne Taintor: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/88031367689111041/

😀 Enjoy!
    Kathi

Liked by 2 people

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 4:37 pm #

Kathi, I just shared that humor on Facebook – I suspect my daughter is already plotting with Everly Rose to do this…. 😉 Thanks!

8. Sunny May 8, 2015 at 1:08 pm #

I am so very happy for you, Carolyn! And what wonderful news! We have had 13 to love and cuddle and spoil (just a tad!) over the years and now the tables are turned….those who live close come over to just hang out or to help….and they love and cuddle & spoil me! Those who live along way away mange to get the love & spoiling by phone or text or visits up to help. I am so proud of them all, and it does my heart a world of good to be with them or hear from them….

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 4:33 pm #

Sunny, that is the best news ever – that these wonderful little munchkins grow up to “love and cuddle and spoil” you in return!! Grandkids have a unique relationship with their grandparents that seems to transcend the ones with their own parents!

9. Leslie Kernisan, MD May 8, 2015 at 11:18 am #

Congrats Carolyn, wonderful news!

I must say, as a parent of young children who occasionally has mixed feelings about grandparental spoiling…I’d say let the loving begin!

And yes, it’s wonderful to get some support when you’re the new parents and wondering what just hit you. (Kids are great, but wow what a transition in life!) I hope you get to spend lots of time w the little one, seeing them grow is a truly beautiful thing.

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 4:31 pm #

Thanks Dr. K – I too had very strict rules for my parents/in-laws when my two kidlets were little: no sugary snacks, nothing that would spoil their appetite for dinner, manners at all times (especially at Grandma’s house!) etc etc etc. We’ll see how I stick to those “rules” now…

10. Curious to the Max May 8, 2015 at 10:51 am #

Congratulations Carolyn. I can HEAR it in your voice that you are over-the-moon! That’s one lucky little girl to have a grandma like you.

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 4:29 pm #

I AM over the moon, Judy-Judith! And I’m the lucky one (first of all just to live two blocks away from Everly Rose’s parents, for starters! I may just have to move in….

11. Janet May 8, 2015 at 10:39 am #

Congratulations to all and how special to have a granddaughter born on the same day date as your Mom! Being a Nana is the best. The BEST heart medicine. 😊 I’m off to the mainland to celebrate my grandson’s first birthday today! Boy! That was a fast year!

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 4:28 pm #

Hi Janet – the days go by so fast with little ones! I remember telling my own preschoolers that I was going to put bricks on their heads to keep them from growing up too fast… 😉 Enjoy your 1st birthday celebrations!

12. Lorraine McIntyre May 8, 2015 at 10:35 am #

Congratulations Carolyn on the birth of your new and first Granddaughter! Words cannot express how one feels when these little ones appear in our lives. I know in my case I had had a near fatal car accident, then diagnosis of breast cancer, a heart valve due to a bicuspid valve which I had been born with. All of this happened in the few years prior to my 60th birthday. The birth of my first two granddaughters and a grandson were definitely the highlight of my life.

I know the arrival of my first grandchild boosted my desire to live and live well so that I will see her have her first child. Indeed the joy I felt at holding her in my arms for hours were the best medicine I could have received.

I found that I keep my opinions to myself as the parents raise their children and smother them with love and we share so much. I am now 10 years cancer free and almost 5 years past my open heart surgery and these dear little ones have had much meaning and impact on my life. My only grandmotherly advice would be to enjoy this beautiful child as much as you are able and you will note how this makes your heart melt with love, joy and gratitude.

Once again Congratulations and many blessings in this child’s life.
    Lorraine McIntyre

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 4:26 pm #

Thanks for so many golden words of wisdom, Lorraine – from the “best medicine” to “keep my opinions to myself”. You are so right – my heart is already melting. I spent four hours at the hospital today with Everly Rose and I positively floated out the door when I left her and her mum….

13. Kathleen May 8, 2015 at 8:02 am #

What a thrill! Congratulations and, as you say, let the spoiling begin. It’s your job!

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 8:09 am #

And I’m going to take that job seriously! It’s every grandparent’s rightful role, isn’t it?

14. Deborah Walker May 8, 2015 at 7:48 am #

What they all said, above, and adding my own delighted “Yippee!” This baby’s going to have one huge cyber community of “aunties”!

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 8:08 am #

“Cyber aunties” – love that! It’s exactly how I feel, reading such lovely greetings here… Thanks Deborah!

15. Karen Sothen May 8, 2015 at 7:30 am #

Congratulations! Enjoy❤️

16. Dr. Elaine Schattner May 8, 2015 at 7:01 am #

Such wonderful news! I’m delighted for you, Carolyn. Mazel tov! Best wishes to you and your family,
    Elaine

17. Jaynie Martz May 8, 2015 at 6:51 am #

How wonderful, wonderful Carolyn. I just saw this!! A small new beating heart for you to spoil!! Enjoy your new role. Baba will be much loved………..♥

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 7:00 am #

It’s really an incredible experience – and we haven’t even really started yet! I’ve already been in love with this baby for months…

18. Kim Waldrup May 8, 2015 at 6:20 am #

I am so happy for you! This sweet little bundle of joy will certainly “do your heart good.” She is most likely better for you than anything the cardiologist can prescribe.

Enjoy and let the spoiling begin!

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 6:39 am #

Oh, that is so true, Kim! Nothing like a fresh new baby to help heal one’s heart – better than any drug…

19. Joan Binnings May 8, 2015 at 6:06 am #

Congratulations, Carolyn! What a happy time for you and your family…take lots of pictures.

20. travegal69 May 8, 2015 at 5:44 am #

Just enjoy every moment and love her. Watch her grow and guide her to be a strong, confident, independent person.

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 6:37 am #

Thanks Saundra – we’re already thinking she’s remarkably strong, confident and independent person based just on her two-day reluctance to leave the womb!

21. Carin and John May 8, 2015 at 5:25 am #

Congratulations Grandma!! How special to arrive on your Mom’s birthdate as well! I shared the same birthdate as my grandpa! Pictures when you can! Enjoy the new life and yes, spoil away!
    Hugs,
    Carin

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 6:36 am #

Thanks so much, Carin and John – I love these shared grandparent/grandbaby birthdates!

22. Dotti Pearson May 8, 2015 at 4:57 am #

Carolyn, first let me welcome you to this awesome time of grandmahood! I can remember the moment I held our first grandchild (now there are eight). I thought my heart would burst with love. This had to be the most perfect child ever born…yes, we can be biased.

You are in for the most wonderful and amazing time of life where you just get to love this child, not be responsible for them. My first grandbabies are now 18, graduating high school and heading off to college and we still love every moment with them.

They give me the incentive everyday to keep this heart disease under control. I don’t want to miss a minute with them. So, advice: just love them, sit back and smile and marvel at how amazing this little human being is and they are part of you! Enjoy.

Liked by 2 people

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 5:13 am #

Such wise advice, Dotti. I intend to follow it! She IS part of me – my baby girl has just had a baby girl! Imagine that…

23. Christine May 8, 2015 at 4:48 am #

OMG! congrats to you! Much love! 😊💜

24. Sharon May 8, 2015 at 4:48 am #

Congratulations! You’ll make a fantastic grandmother. There is no doubt! I am so happy for you! Your heart will overflow with love as she grows filled with wonder and joy and excitement. Just wait til she calls you Grandma or Nana … What will she call you? Have you thought about that yet? Ahhh… Life is good.

Thanks for a great start to the day and Congratulations to all!

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 5:03 am #

Thank you Sharon – she’ll call me “Baba” (Ukrainian for Grandma) just as her Mum called my mother. It’s an easier name for babies to say, too! A beautiful sunny day today, and life IS good!

PS How’s the search for that ‘gnarly tree’ coming along?

25. PrincessFiona60 May 8, 2015 at 3:53 am #

Congratulations Everly Rose, looks like you picked a good Grandma.

Grandmotherly advice:
    This is not your baby and her parents will have ideas that differ from yours, wait until a question is asked before butting in with how you would do things if Everly was your baby.

Another, you can never Love, Kiss or Hug a Grandbaby, too much.

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 4:59 am #

What great advice! I’m going to go embroider that on a pillow . . .

26. Dr. Anne Stohrer May 8, 2015 at 3:37 am #

So happy for you. Congratulations and health and long life to that wonderful girl!

27. Judy Kendle May 8, 2015 at 3:05 am #

Wonderful news, Carolyn! Heartiest congratulations to all! You’ll love being a grandma – it’s like a second chance at being a parent, without all the sleepless nights and awful sense of responsibility – all you have to do is love and enjoy the new one!
    Take care,
    Judy

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 4:54 am #

Thank you Judy – all the perks, none of the worry. Sound pretty good to me…

28. M.P. May 8, 2015 at 12:28 am #

Wonderful news! Congratulations!

29. bearspawprint May 7, 2015 at 11:49 pm #

Congratulations!

30. Anne May 7, 2015 at 11:04 pm #

Congratulations to all, my grand daughter just turned 3 – such a wonderful feeling been a grandparent. No advice – just support the parents and enjoy every moment with the little one. No love like it.

• Carolyn Thomas May 7, 2015 at 11:24 pm #

Thanks, Anne. All my girlfriends say the same thing – being a grandmother is wonderful!

• Barbara Keddy May 8, 2015 at 6:53 pm #

Aw Carolyn: Nothing that can match a thrill like having a grandchild. I adore my 5, they bring such great joy!

You are especially lucky to have her so close by. Three of mine are in British Columbia and I miss them like crazy. But, even then we are in close contact. The other two live a block away and I consider myself so fortunate because of it.

Spoil them like crazy; fuss over them; kiss and coo – that is my advice.
        A little story: I have 4 granddaughters and one grandson. When he was born at home with a midwife on International Women’s Day he was first passed to his mum, then his dad, the other grandmother, then me. When he got to me he opened his eyes for the first time, so I was the first person he ‘saw’ (of course I know he couldn’t see yet).

I quietly murmured to him: “This is International Women’s Day so always remember that and treat women with great respect and love”.

This year on his 15th birthday I told him that same story I tell him every year. He said: “Grammie, I think the image of your face and the first words I heard will always be indelibly marked in my memory”.

Kisses for that lovely baby and we are all anxiously waiting to see her photos plastered all over this site!

• Carolyn Thomas May 8, 2015 at 10:21 pm #

Wow, Barbara, that story of your grandson is so wonderful! I love the fact that you have told him that birth story every year on his birthday – a fine tradition! Thanks for that reminder that even when our grandbabies don’t live a block away, we can stay close in other ways. That’s encouraging news, for example, for the ‘other’ grandmother of Everly Rose who lives hundreds of miles away!

• Barbara Keddy May 9, 2015 at 4:47 am #

Good morning Baba:
            What I forgot to add was while watching this 6 foot gangly 15 year old eat his birthday lunch (and everything in sight) my husband and I smiled at one another when he used the phrase “indelibly marked”.

Was this the little guy whose diapers we changed not so long ago using words such as these?

I have learned so much from my grandkids. It’s like the phrase from Louis Armstrong’s song “What a Wonderful World”:
            “I hear babies cry
            I watch them grow,
            They’ll learn much more,
            Than I’ll ever know.
            And I think to myself,
            What a wonderful world.”

oh yeah.

• Carolyn Thomas May 9, 2015 at 5:45 am #

“Indelibly marked” – now there’s some impressive vocab from a 15-year old right? That Louis Armstrong song always brings a tear to my eye – and somehow means even more now…. Thanks Barbara!