My favourite brunch recipe for heart-healthy Blueberry Almond French Toast

26 Dec

The best thing about this heart-smart brunch recipe for eight is that you make it the night before. Ten minutes of easy prep time, about eight hours of overnight sitting time in the fridge, and 50 minutes of baking time next morning, filling your kitchen with that irresistible vanilla-cinnamon aroma while you’re off showering and making coffee.

And did I mention that it also looks and tastes fabulously delicious? Perfect for feeding a crowd of hungry (slightly hungover) houseguests!

Carolyn’s Heart-Smart Blueberry Almond French Toast for Eight

The night before, spray a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Slice one whole wheat baguette (about 18″ long) and cut it into 1-inch cubes. Arrange the bread cubes in a single layer in the baking pan.

Whisk together:

• 8 large eggs
  • 8 large egg whites
  • 2 cups non-fat milk
  • 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract (not the chemical fake stuff)
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/3 c. real Canadian maple syrup

Pour the egg mixture over the bread in the pan, spreading it around so the liquid saturates the bread.

Scatter 2 c. fresh blueberries evenly on top. (If using frozen berries, don’t add them or the almond/brown sugar mix below until the next morning just before baking, as frozen berries tend to ‘bleed’ all over the place if you add them the night before).

Sprinkle top with:

• 1/2 c. sliced natural almonds
  • 2 tbsp. brown sugar

Cover tightly and refrigerate pan overnight.

Next morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Uncover the baking pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Serve warm from the oven (best!) or at room temperature with a big dollop of low-fat vanilla yogurt or low-fat sour cream (our preferred family favourite!) and drizzle lightly with more Canadian maple syrup.

Enjoy! Want more delicious heart-smart menu hits from Heart Sisters ? Check out my favourite heart-healthy recipes for:

12 Responses to “My favourite brunch recipe for heart-healthy Blueberry Almond French Toast”

1. Celia July 29, 2011 at 11:34 pm #

Does anybody have nutrition information on this lovely meal? Specifically carbohydrates and calories per serving. Thanks!

• Carolyn Thomas July 30, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

Hi Celia – I’d say approx 300 calories per serving and about 40 g carbs – very rough estimate.
      Cheers,
      C.

2. Heart Healthy Recipes July 26, 2010 at 10:07 am #

I tried this recipe the other morning and it was absolutely delicious. My kids even wanted seconds so that alone tells me this recipe is a hit. Mmmmm Mmmm Good!

3. Soho Sue January 20, 2010 at 12:28 pm #

Last weekend for brunch, I tried this recipe substituting frozen raspberries instead of blueberries. As directed, I added them just before putting the pan into the oven on Sunday morning so the red berries wouldn’t ‘bleed’ into the bread/egg mix.

WOW! This was SO good. We served it with low-fat sour cream and some real maple syrup (which may sound odd but like you, it’s a family tradition with pancakes); the combination of the sweet syrup and the bite of the not-sweet sour cream is dynamite.

Thanks for this heart-smart recipe – it’s destined to become a brunch favorite in our kitchen, possibly with blueberries or other mixed berries next time.

4. Lani B January 5, 2010 at 9:49 am #

Hello – I found this on ask.com. Very useful articles for good recipes on your website!

5. April December 27, 2009 at 6:01 am #

I have always loved blueberries!!! My favorite blueberry treat is blueberry cheesecake, but your blueberry almond French toast sounds delicious!!! I will definitely try your recipe. Thanks for sharing!!!

• Carolyn Thomas December 27, 2009 at 8:16 am #

Hi April
      I love blueberries, too. They are not only delicious, but blueberries are a great source of heart-healthy antioxidants, one of the Top 10 Healthy Foods according to Mayo Clinic – http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/health-foods/NU00632

• April December 30, 2009 at 7:38 am #

Hi Carolyn,
        Thanks for this recipe. I shared it with my mom and emailed it to her. Yep, you are right, blueberries are healthy antioxidants 😉

1. James in Texas - January 19, 2010

Great! Loved this inspiration and will definitely try this one out.

Thank you.

2. Rhubarb Pork Chop Casserole | Stir Recipe - January 13, 2010

[…] My favourite brunch recipe for heart-healthy Blueberry Almond French Toast

3. Ras Asfour - January 6, 2010

I have put a link to this recipe from my site […] My favourite brunch recipe for heart-healthy Blueberry Almond … […]

4. Topsy.com - December 26, 2009

This post hast been tweeted on Twitter – Carolyn Thomas said: My favourite brunch recipe for heart-healthy Blueberry Almond French Toast […]