Heart Sisters Posts From The Past
- When are cardiologists going to start talking about depression?
- Heart disease: women’s #1 cause of untimely death
- Talking my language
- Tell me a (heart attack) story
- “Live a healthy life, then die quickly at 90″
- Heart palpitations: what do they mean?
- The myth of the menopause link
- From heart-sick to heart-smart
- Are you a mindful eater?
- “She’s a fighter!” and other metaphors in medicine
- Living with the “burden of treatment”
- Bereavement Eating: does grief cause carb cravings?
- Empathy 101: how to sound like you give a damn
- Top 25 treatments for anxiety
- Why “NO” is a complete sentence
- Is it the flu or the common cold?
- It lasts as long as it lasts
- Have you ever been in Cahoots?
- Just not listening – or “narrative incompetence”?
- Stressed: who, me?
- What your cardiologist (should have) learned last month
- When routine tasks trigger heart symptoms
- What if hospital staff could read our minds?
- Patient engagement? How about doctor engagement?
- ‘Healthy Privilege’ – when you just can’t imagine being sick
- Yentl Syndrome: cardiology’s gender gap is alive and well
- When doctors use words that hurt
- When heart patients meet the Black Swan
- Emotional intelligence in health care relationships
- When survivors feel depressed instead of lucky
- Happy 5th Heart-iversary to me!
- Happy Nurses Week! A look back at nurses in 1950
- Why I’m nothing like – yet just like – my mother
- News flash: care improves when doctors consider the whole person
- Design a beautiful day today
- Dr. Barbara Keddy: “I was pitifully ignorant about heart disease”
- There is no “Fair Fairy” in life
- Things change – just more slowly than we’d like
- One Grain More! Les Miz meets gluten-free
- Two years spent connected to her “heart lifeline”
- “To just be a person, and not a patient anymore”
- Looking for meaning in a meaningless diagnosis
- A “crazy-making vicious cycle of stress and discontent”
- The cure myth
- Why does your arm hurt during a heart attack?
- When you live with a serious illness – and a bad marriage
- Why aren’t you wearing your medical I.D?
- Why I decided to start loving my grey hair
- Diagnosed with what? Brugada Syndrome?!
- A cardiologist’s advice on how to use this “wonder drug”’
- Unconscious bias: why women don’t get the same care men do
- Discover. Join. Leave. The life cycle of online patient groups (1st of 3-part series)
- 30 little things about my invisible illness you may not know
- Online patient groups: why so under-used? (2nd of 3-part series)
- What really goes on in your friendly online patient group (3rd of 3-part series)
- Medical jargon: do you need a translator?
- A NOT-To-Do List for the chronically ill
- The weirdness of Post-Heart Attack Stun
- What heart patients want ICD makers to know
- When patients are seen as “The Enemy”
- Let’s make our day harder – not easier!
- EECP therapy – and wearing fun socks
- “I went from the driver’s seat of my life to the trunk”
- “I’m getting old – but I’m not old yet”
- Women, controversial statin guidelines, and common sense
- Don’t touch those magazines in the waiting room
- “We are all patients.” No, you’re not.
- The Christmas truce – 1914
- When chest pain is “just” costochondritis
- A year in review: Top 10 Heart Sisters posts from 2013
♥ ♥ ♥
NOTE FROM CAROLYN: I wrote more about these and many other important topics about women’s heart health in my new book, “A Woman’s Guide to Living with Heart Disease” (Johns Hopkins University, November 2017).
Thank you for visiting Heart Sisters! Here’s how this site’s traffic has grown, from 27,000 views in 2009 to over 3.6 million views in 2015.
While you’re here, why not read the fascinating Heart Sisters disclaimer page?