Heart Sisters Posts From The Past
- The Lancet: “A New Year’s message from 100 years ago”
- “Catastrophizing” – why we feel sicker than we are
- Heart attack funnies: “You suck at pessimism!”
- “The winter I lived on potatoes – and loved it!“
- Stupid things doctors say to heart patients
- We survive – but do we ever recover from a heart attack?
- Why we keep telling – and re-telling – our heart attack stories
- Do you know the difference between V.T. and T.V?
- Heart Sisters featured in More magazine’s February issue
FEBRUARY 2011 – It’s HEART MONTH ♥
- The myth of the ‘Hollywood Heart Attack’ for women
- Woman who couldn’t afford health insurance dies of heart attack
- How much do you know about heart attacks? Take this quiz
- Here’s your basic heart-smart grocery shopping list
- When doctors become patients
- Do you know the new 2011 heart health guidelines for women?
- TV reporter Jennifer Donelan survives heart attack at age 36
- How to communicate your heart symptoms to your doctor
- Do you know what causes heart disease?
- Pam Peterson wonders: “Did I turn both of the burners off?”
- It wasn’t heart disease – but what was it?
- Is Daylight Saving Time hurting your heart?
- What does a girl have to do to get her heart attack noticed?
- Too cold to walk today? Take a heart-smart mall walk!
- Study: statins are over-prescribed for healthy adults
- Are you too hard on yourself?
- Heart disease: “You’ve come a long way, baby!” – or have you?
- Cardiac nurse learns firsthand about women’s heart disease
- Why are women with atrial fibrillation treated differently than men?
- Are women being left behind in cardiac research?
- Why taking a shower is so exhausting for heart attack survivors
- Patient privacy, modesty, and staff burnout
- ‘Heart Attack & Soul’: the perfect gift for the heart attack survivor
- Should heart patients make a Bucket List?
- Seven ways to misdiagnose a heart attack
- Getting help during a heart attack: ‘delayers’ vs ‘survivors’
- “You know you have heart disease when . . . “
- Apply now to attend the 2011 WomenHeart Symposium at Mayo Clinic
- How expecting recovery can help heart attack survivors
- When a pet dies: another definition of broken heart
- Do you think too much? How ruminating hurts your heart
- Are you a ‘health seeker’ or a ‘disease seeker’?
- Ranking the prestige of diseases: guess what’s ranked #1?
- Why your heart needs work – not rest! – after a heart attack
- Resilience: it’s hard to feel like a victim when you’re laughing
- Heart-healthy weight: secrets of the always-slim
- Is your doctor telling you to “meditate, eat veggies, walk, and quit smoking?” If not, why not?
- Surprising trends in women’s heart disease
- “I started vomiting – and it turned out to be a heart attack”
- A doctor discovers the heart-smart joys of eating vegan
- How many times has your heart beaten so far?
- Do you know the difference between a pacemaker and a implantable defibrillator?
- Can denial ever be a good thing for heart patients?
- Is is post-heart attack depression – or just feeling sad?
- When eating chocolate is the only right thing to do
- How swearing during a heart attack reduces pain
- 10 non-drug ways to treat depression in heart patients
- How to be a “good” patient
- Is it a heart attack – or a panic attack?
- What prevents heart disease “better than any drug”?
- Heart disease = most costly condition for women
- Why are so many patients dissatisfied with their doctors?
- Marriage triples our bypass surgery survival rates – but only if it’s happy
- “God punishes bad children!” – or, why you have heart disease
- All the SCAD ladies, put your hands up!
- Heart-healthy homemade ice cream – with just one ingredient!
- How humour can help – or hurt – your heart disease recovery
- Is cold water swimming okay for my heart?
- In praise of solitude after a heart attack
- A heart film to watch before the ‘Pink Season’ gets here
- Does surviving a heart attack make you a better person?
- The effects of sugar on heart disease
- Top 10 tips from the author of ‘How To Be Sick’
- The concept of ‘Mansplaining‘ explained for you
- What heart patients can learn from cancer patients
- Three things that make you happy – and three things that won’t
- Do you know why you should eat fish twice a week?
- Why female shift workers may be at higher risk for heart disease
- Women under age 55 fare worse after heart attack than men
- The sad reality of women’s heart disease hits home
- Researchers openly mock the “myth” of women’s unique heart attack symptoms
- Six life lessons from Dan’s cat, Annie
- “Jenny, know your numbers!” – a free Mayo Clinic app
- Why are hospital staff wearing uniforms, scrubs and white coats in public?
- Yale Heart Study asks why we wait so long before seeking help in mid-heart attack
- “But what about the men?!”
- “Gaslighting” – or, why women are so darned emotional during their heart attacks
- ‘Holiday Heart Syndrome’ in women
- “Gigi” – an E.R. doc’s warning to his residents
- What your body fat really looks like
- Advice for heart patients too tired to do housework
- “Seeking Social Solace”: why aren’t heart patients going online?
- Pregnancy: the ultimate cardiac stress test
- How to have a waste-free festive family dinner this year
- The lost art of common courtesy in medicine
- Year in review: Top 10 Heart Sisters posts in 2011
♥ ♥ ♥
NOTE FROM CAROLYN: I wrote more about these and many other important topics about women’s heart health in my book, “A Woman’s Guide to Living with Heart Disease” (Johns Hopkins University, November 2017).
Thank you for visiting Heart Sisters! Here’s how this site’s traffic has grown, from 27,000 views in 2009 to over 3.6 million views in 2015.
While you’re here, why not read the fascinating Heart Sisters disclaimer page?